» What do you think about power places?
by Night Eyes Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 pm

» 13 Things You Should Give Up If You Want To Be Successful
by Night Eyes Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:44 pm

» Shine's Genie
by kazoo Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:46 pm

» Question time.
by Luney Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 am

» What Good Things Happened to You Today?
by Evie Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 am

» What do you want to manifest this month?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:24 pm

» Ever feel like Belle?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:15 pm

» '5 Secrets to Wu Wei'
by LittlemissSunshine Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:27 pm

» Learning to Trust the Universe
by Night Eyes Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:34 am

» I am grateful for...
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:47 pm

» The Daily Thich Nhat Hanh
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:36 pm

» The Giggle Thread
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:10 pm

» How is Everyone?
by Night Eyes Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 pm

» Introduce yourself
by Luney Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:06 am

» Positive Affirmations
by Luney Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 am

» Shiny, Pretty, Happy Things
by Night Eyes Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 am

» Positivity app
by Night Eyes Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 am

» Cleaning home from negative energies
by kazoo Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:06 pm

» Share your Recipes
by Luney Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 am

» Inspiring Videos
by Evie Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:09 am

» Depression
by Night Eyes Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 am

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

What is the meaning of life?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is the meaning of life?

Post by Evie on Mon May 16, 2016 2:45 am

What do you think the meaning of life is?
Do you think we have a purpose here?
What is the most important thing in your life?

I want to take the following, from Robin Kidds' answer to "Why is Life complex, yet simple?" on Quora, to perhaps kick-start the discussion...

"But to me, there is one simple truth that unites life, the universe(s), and everything.

That is love.

If there is a point to anything at all, it is love.

We're tiny ants on a cosmic disc in a universal DJ's selection of a selection of a selection. We're strips of elevated nothingness barely qualified to call ourselves something. Call us itty bitty microbes in an unremarkable neighbourhood of a small city in a big state in a huge country on a planet in a solar system in a universe in a universe in a universe and you still don't fully comprehend our nothingness, our barely-thereness. We humans, we're barely, barely, barely subatomic particles in the scope of things.

But we have love. We have fellow human beings, fellow plants and animals sharing this earth, fellow rocks and stones and pebbles, fellow water particles and swamps and seasides, fellow clouds and stars, fellow ripples in reality. We share a bond with everything around us.

Let us cherish each other, all we have, and complexity and simplicity vanish.

Love is simple and complex, yin and yang.

We share a commonality with everything around us. We are star dust. We are surfers on the sea of the cosmos. We are bred of exploding galaxies. We are children of the universe -- all of us, human, plant, animal, microbe.

We are many. But we are also one.

And that is love. It's really that simple."

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Life-complex-yet-simple/answer/Robin-Kidds

Evie
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the meaning of life?

Post by Luney on Sat May 21, 2016 7:27 am

I believe we can have a purpose, or a list of aspects to explore or aim to develop a certain quality, but I don't believe it is chosen for us by some higher force, I think the soul itself decides it.

Otherwise I think the meaning of life is just to have fun, explore your talents and passions, travel around, learn, create circles of friends and families, love and enjoy every moment.

I do find that people are always planning to start living WHEN they have accomplished a certain aspect of life in the future, never really happy or complete with what they have, or living in the moment.

At the moment the most important thing in my life is my kids.

Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:13 am

@Luney wrote:
I do find that people are always planning to start living WHEN they have accomplished a certain aspect of life in the future, never really happy or complete with what they have, or living in the moment.

This is a very important point, and reminds me of this:

In music one doesn’t make the end of a composition the point of the composition.  If that were so the best conductors would be those who played fastest, and there would be composers who wrote only finales. People would go to concerts just to hear one crashing chord; because that’s the end!

But we don’t see that as something brought by our education into our every day conduct. We’ve got a system of schooling that gives a completely different impression. It’s all graded. And what we do is we put the child into the corridor of this grade system with a kind of “come on kitty kitty kitty”, and now you go to kindergarten. And that’s a great thing because when you finish that you get into first grade, and then come on; first grade leads to second grade and so on, and then you get out of grade school. Now you’re going to go to high school, and it’s revving up – the thing is coming. Then you’ve got to go to college, and by Jove then you get into graduate school and when you’re through with graduate school you go out and join the World!

"And all the time that thing is coming. It’s coming, it’s coming! That great thing, the success you’re working for. Then when you wake up one day at about 40 years old you say “My God! I’ve arrived! I’m there”.And you don’t feel very different from what you always felt."

And then you get into some racket where you’re selling insurance. And they’ve got that quota to make, and you’re gonna make that. And all the time that thing is coming. It’s coming, it’s coming! That great thing, the success you’re working for. Then when you wake up one day at about 40 years old you say “My God! I’ve arrived! I’m there”. And you don’t feel very different from what you always felt.

And there’s a slight let down because you feel there’s a hoax. And there was a hoax. A dreadful hoax. They made you miss everything. We thought of life by analogy with a journey, with a pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end and the thing was to get to that end. Success or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you’re dead.

But we missed the point the whole way along. It was a musical thing and we were supposed to sing or to dance while the music was being played.

- Alan Watts
(source here)

I do think there is an inherent meaning to life - that is, love, in all senses of the word. I think other meanings that we choose for ourselves usually ultimately fall under the heading of love anyway, if that is they are worthwhile meanings. In a world that is so subjective in so many ways, I think love nonetheless is not something we just add ourselves -- every part of nature conspires to make love important. Love, to me, is the meaning of life. Love of one's family, love of one's friends, love of the entire human race - love of nature - love of music, love of dance, love of writing and literature and theatre, love of everything, of the cosmos, of life itself. That is really, in essence, what life is about. Love. Looking after each other. Doing good.

And if there is one signal our little planet can radiate out into the universe, I hope it is a signal of love.

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Agreed Love is so important!

also stop waiting and start living Smile
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile