» What do you think about power places?
by Night Eyes Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 pm

» 13 Things You Should Give Up If You Want To Be Successful
by Night Eyes Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:44 pm

» Shine's Genie
by kazoo Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:46 pm

» Question time.
by Luney Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 am

» What Good Things Happened to You Today?
by Evie Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 am

» What do you want to manifest this month?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:24 pm

» Ever feel like Belle?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:15 pm

» '5 Secrets to Wu Wei'
by LittlemissSunshine Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:27 pm

» Learning to Trust the Universe
by Night Eyes Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:34 am

» I am grateful for...
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:47 pm

» The Daily Thich Nhat Hanh
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:36 pm

» The Giggle Thread
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:10 pm

» How is Everyone?
by Night Eyes Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 pm

» Introduce yourself
by Luney Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:06 am

» Positive Affirmations
by Luney Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 am

» Shiny, Pretty, Happy Things
by Night Eyes Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 am

» Positivity app
by Night Eyes Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 am

» Cleaning home from negative energies
by kazoo Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:06 pm

» Share your Recipes
by Luney Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 am

» Inspiring Videos
by Evie Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:09 am

» Depression
by Night Eyes Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 am

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

What Good Things Happened to You Today?

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Good Things Happened to You Today?

Post by jellybelly on Tue May 31, 2016 5:53 am

1) I was surprisingly on time for work today despite taking the train at a later time. Despite the worry about being late, I managed to enjoy my moment looking at the beautiful clouds. Thank God for the smooth sailing journey to work Smile

2) It is definite that I will be heading over to Germany in January 2017 with my partner for about 2 weeks for his job training! I might stay and travel around for another 2 weeks by myself, and visiting my friends at the same time! Yet to book air tickets cos there's no dates at the moment, but I'm excited to be heading to Europe!

Believe, and everything will come in good time! Smile

jellybelly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:30 pm

All of this is lovely to hear, Jellybelly!

Germany is fantastisch. Very Happy Sounds like an exciting time lies ahead of you! I love you

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:04 am

I received a wonderful letter from a penpal in Brazil today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:18 pm

I actually have a longer update I want to post here soon, but...well, later. What a Face

Today I had a peaceful walk in the forest, had some lovely messages from colleagues, and enjoyed quality time with my family. I love you

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:06 pm

Last week I tried to buy myself some really pretty Rose Gold (yes i'm obsessed with the colour) flip flops but they didnt have my size, my dad visited today to buy us dinner and he'd found them in my size and bought them for me

I feel very lucky and grateful Smile
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:27 am

Yesterday I was too exhausted to update here but I had the most wonderful woodland hike with my dad, it was such an adventure! It was very demanding, lots of climbing through narrow rock passageways, up and down valleys, up and over and under cliffs...

a fairly typical example of the path

We also found a cave that was used for storing the treasure and valuable paintings from a nearby castle during the Thirty Years' War. Sadly I didn't have my camera with me (the above photo is from the internet), but it was a really romantic (and extremely dark) cave, like something from a fairytale.

My legs still ache even the day after, but it was so much fun!

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Today I saw 4 ducks, 1 pet pig, and 5 sheep. Very Happy
Oh, and one ginger kitten. Wink

Also, my mum called me into the lounge room in the afternoon - my great-uncle was on TV in a 1990s historical drama. He was the king. queen

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Today I had the most delicious soup for lunch (my favourite of all soups, dumpling soup)

And though I was feeling very very down Night and PR were very kind to me I love you

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:45 am

Yesterday i got a call asking me if i would like a job interview because thy really like the training i have on my cv

whilst i'm not getting my hopes up for the job as the hours and location are unsuitable this is a first and an achivement for me after being a stay at home mum for so long Smile
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:46 am

Yay Nighty! cheerleader See, they already love you because of your training. Very impressive news. Smile Just wait till they get to meet you...whether this job happens or there's a better job waiting for you out there, I think this will be wonderful experience so goooo Nighty! cheerleader

Today I just borrowed one of my uncle's bikes and cycled again for the first time in um..... eleven years... and though it looked like I was going to kill myself at first, I slowly got the hang of it again and within minutes I was riding gracefully without even having to try. In fact, it was the trying that ruined it in the first place - as is so often the case in life!

I didn't think this would happen so easily -- I thought various different things would conspire to stop me from cycling, including the rather exorbitant cost of buying or even hiring a bike. But voila, from today onwards, Evie rides again... Cool

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:29 am

Wooooooo!!! Congrats Nighty cheers cheers cheers
I love hearing all those exciting news from you Very Happy I got all my fingers crossed for you for the job!!

And I love cycling Evie, so happy you are back in the saddle I love you
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by President Roosevelt on Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:53 am

Congrats Night Eyes! Yess! licks

President Roosevelt
Top Dog
Top Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:59 pm

I've had the sweetest day (though not without its troubles).

Among other things, I saw - and heard - an ice cream van on my walk, with its twinkling happy tune... oh what wonderful memories.

Also, my family are invited to my cousin's birthday celebrations next week, so that's something to look forward to. Very Happy

On the downside, I still have an overwhelming amount of work to do. Sigh... On the upside, I'm enjoying it (when I'm not tearing myself apart with the stress of it Laughing ).

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:21 pm

After a pretty horrible morning, S., one of my oldest friends in London, has made my day. She's messaged me about my upcoming visit and we've been chatting organising everything, including a barbeque as soon as I get there, and then excursions to palaces and art galleries on the Sunday.

She's so lovely, she's even been getting me to choose what veggies we should grill at the barbeque (I'm vegetarian), and already making breakfast plans and thinking up places she can take me... I'm so lucky to know her.

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Today, my family celebrated my cousin's birthday. We had a barbeque - he and his girlfriend made the loveliest mushroom skewers for the vegetarians as well as exotic salads etc. - and the meat eaters had a huge slab of beef.

We were also told some wonderful news - J. is having a baby!!!! I'm going to be an auntie again! My grandma's first great-grandchild is on its way. I love you

Last edited by Evie on Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:04 pm

We had a barbeque - he and his girlfriend made the loveliest mushroom skewers for the vegetarians as well as exotic salads etc. - and the meat eaters had a huge slab of beef.

I hate to inform you Evie, but that's not beef. Dog, they had a huge slab of dog :geek:
But aww, such amazing news! I'd say congratulations, but Phanty might not like it Wink anyway- I'm happy for you and your family !!

Oh I have so many memories with redcurrants. My family's garden has dozens of redcurrant bushes, even more blackcurrant bushes and a few white currants. So many days of my life have been spent on picking and juicing them. Usually juiced redcurrants together with raspberries which is even more annoying, because you have to pick them one by one.
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:11 pm

Oh and don't forget- if you are around Waterloo, then Vespa Cafe on Lower Marsh has cats!

and the blackberry crumble cake in the cafe of British Library is one of the main reasons I kept going back to British Library What a Face
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:19 am

^ Actually that is a very little dog Razz ...they have another dog that is much bigger. What a Face Both of them did their best to eat the beef, so they were on their hind legs just about licking it...

And Phanty doesn't exist. I like congratulations. Thanks. Smile
It's so lovely that there will be a little one on this side of the family, it's about time! (It also takes the pressure off me, a little. Razz ) We don't know yet if it's a boy or a girl, but they should find out next week.

I take it you don't really like those redcurrant memories? Shruggy smiley They've always been a big thing in my family, already when my mum was little they all went redcurrant-picking in the big garden where we had heaps and heaps and heaps of redcurrant bushes, with her grandfather and parents and the other kids, who used to have a competition every time as to who could pick the most currants. It was practically the same with the next generation, though not with me because I was too young (my uncle's children are about ten years older than me). I just pick my own currants in the smaller garden we have at the back of the barn, we have redcurrants, blackcurrants, and gooseberries there, as well as raspberries, blackberries, apples, plums, peaches, and of course three cherry trees. I wish I had been there for the family currant-picking tradition, though. So I think you're so lucky. Wink Did you go out picking wild herbs, too?

@Luney wrote:Oh and don't forget- if you are around Waterloo, then Vespa Cafe on Lower Marsh has cats!

and the blackberry crumble cake in the cafe of British Library is one of the main reasons I kept going back to British Library What a Face

Is that the cat cafe you talked about before? I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to get to Waterloo, but it looks amazing! Meanwhile, I used to practically live at the British Library, but I don't think I ever saw the blackberry crumble. *pouts* Sad I hope they still make it...  that said, I never spent much time in either of the cafes, mostly I didn't have time to eat and when I did, I went to the sushi or health food places near Kings Cross. So I would have probably only been in that indoor cafe twice or three times in total -- two of those times were because I was meeting my supervisor or associate supervisor for lunch. Laughing I always feel the need for air after spending hours in the reading room, and everything in the British Library seems so expensive, so I never really experienced those cafes as much as I might have.
But I will definitely see if I can find the blackberry crumble this time! Smile

Edit: Just came across this in Delicious. online....and made me think of the blackberry crumble. Mmmmmm...

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Oh no, I don't mind the redcurrant memories now, just when we were kids there was so much time spent picking all sorts of berries, fruits and vegetables and we would have rather been playing Laughing We had to pick all the currants and we had loads of raspberries, blackberries, many strawberry fields, many different kinds of gooseberries, dozens of cherry trees, lots of different kinds of apples and plums, but only ONE precious pear tree. It had (well still has) the juiciest sweetest pears and it was never full like any other fruit tree, it usually had 10-20 pears per year and they were all really high, so we couldn't reach them. When one fell down, we could probably hear it drop from miles away and raced to get it first laugh

Speaking of crumb cakes, it's not the best picture, but I just made this white chocolate chip -raspberry crumb cake a few days ago  Eating

Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Oh goodness! *takes out her time machine and goes to visit Luney's childhood* How utterly wonderful. I love you Was the garden anywhere near your animals, too? Very Happy

We have a pear tree in my grandma's big garden, also only one, the rest of the trees are apples and peaches and - I think there's two walnuts (definitely one big one). But as far as I can remember there's only one pear tree, and that was also coincidentally the only tree I used to climb in that garden when I was a kid - it was perfect for climbing - and I used to sit up there, eating sweet sweet pears and reading.
Mmmm....

That crumb cake looks so yummy - could you pass me some through the computer screen, please?

My day today was what Anne of Green Gables would call a "Jonah Day" - absolutely everything was going wrong........ But this afternoon, there was a nice moment when mum got back from Prague and tasted my gnocchi bake and praised it highly, I think she was also trying to make me feel better but she never gives any kind of false praise so she must have really liked it.

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:39 am

I improvised a bit today. I felt the need for a new crumb cake, but I didn't have any fruit or jams at hand and I felt like it would be too dry if I made a straight up crumb cake. So when I had poured the batter in the baking pan, I put a whole jar of sour cream on top of it, spread it out and put the crumbs on top. I have to say oh my, it's the fluffiest moistest most angelic crumb cake ever and sour cream makes it so smooth, not too sweet. I ate half a pan as soon as it came out, I think I regained all the weight I lost with fitness challenge today Laughing so we need to start a new one...as soon as I've eaten the rest of the cake Drooling

Aww that pear tree story sounds so idyllic Very Happy Our pear tree didn't have any low branches so we never climbed it, but we were climbing lots of other trees, I think I spent half my childhood climbing something Laughing
Estonia is too cold for peaches and walnuts, but all the forests around had loads of hazelnuts, so we always had trays of hazelnuts drying somewhere, usually ready to get cracked by Christmas. So usually our gingerbread men were always covered with hazelnuts hehe.

I think I considered blueberry, wild strawberry, mushroom and hazelnut picking more of an adventure and less of a chore than anything we had to pick in our own garden. The currant picking may seem wonderful now, but it was a really tedious all day chore back then.
But then again I love all the blackcurrant juice and strawberry jam smells filling the house and all the jam, pickle, juice and salsa jar rows in the cellar... Sigh...

We had chicken loose in the garden sometimes, but obviously we didn't let sheep and cows roam around the flowerbeds and strawberries laugh They had to go to the pastures every day and back in the evening.

I almost forgot, we also had one paradise apple. You know the small red ones. I was just thinking a few days ago I missed pickled paradise apples mmm...

Oh yeah and we did collect some herbs, especially for teas. At least these 3 every year- wild chamomiles and whatever these 2 are called lol-

I remember I hated all those 3 teas. They are supposed to help with flu and cold and all that stuff, but yuck.

I also remember collecting some juniper berries and some wild dog rose berries (I think that's  how they call them Scratchhead ) for my grandma, obviously they had to help with some old people diseases.
There are so many junipers in my island, they're everywhere.

I can smell junipers just looking at that picture lol. Oh and juniper fields are just the best places ever to play hide and seek.

Then I remember we had to pick and dry some of those -

and some of those -

but I never used them for anything so not sure what they were good for lol.
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:36 am

Just a very very quick note --

How beautiful, Luney.

Tiny, quick comments --

@Luney wrote:All the forests around had loads of hazelnuts, so we always had trays of hazelnuts drying somewhere, usually ready to get cracked by Christmas. So usually our gingerbread men were always covered with hazelnuts hehe.

The hazelnut is one of my favouritest favourite things! Hazelnuts in chocolate or any other food immediately make it so much better, and hazelnuts on their own...mmmm. But did you always wait until they had dried before you ate them? To me, there is nothing in the world quite as nice as a fresh hazelnut, when the nut flesh is still tender and white. The flavours and juiciness of it...oh, my goodness...  same goes for macadamias, I love them in any form but when they're still fresh, it's the greatest delicacy of all.

@Luney wrote:I think I considered blueberry, wild strawberry, mushroom and hazelnut picking more of an adventure

Blueberry-picking and mushroom-picking are so much fun. Very Happy Obviously, we don't do that in Australia, so it's a real treat when we get a chance to over here. And then, after a day out in the woods gathering your own food, the mushroom sauces and blueberry pancakes afterwards.....!!!

I *think* I've had these too, unless what I had was really just a very small apple that hadn't grown up (the Peter Pan apple? Very Happy ). In any case, super super sweet... as sweet as lollies, which makes you wonder why people bother eating man-made sweets at all.

I'm pretty sure these are linden tree flowers?

I've definitely seen this growing in the fields and in herbal medicine encyclopedias, but I will have to ask my mum what it is later to see if we can go pick some too...

Maybe wild dog rose berries is a more technical term for them, but when we talk about those in English rather than Czech we just call them rosehips (or wild roses if it's just the flower). Rosehips have so many fantastic properties, like heaps of antioxidants and vitamin A, and rosehip tea and rosehip oil are great for the skin.

I'm sure I've seen this one too and that my mum used to gather it, but I don't know what it is.
*edit* I just did a Google Image Search on it and found it's yarrow - which, incidentally, mum has been talking about recently...

This one I do know. Very Happy It's St John's Wort! A.k.a. natural antidepressant and stress reliever that costs its weight in gold to buy in Australia, which you can just pick in the fields here (or in my uncle's case, even between the cracks in his wall). I have some drying in the next room at this minute. Wink

I can't understand how you can not like chamomile, though. No Or any herbal tea, but especially chamomile. Maybe you only tasted it heavily brewed? It gets bitter then. But if you keep it to the 2 or 3 minutes that makes the perfect cup of chamomile, it's like heaven in a tea cup. We've got some fresh chamomile drying already (though not enough, no time to pick a lot of anything in the fields at the moment), and right now I'm sipping some of my Teekanne chamomile tea imported from Austria. The difference in taste between this and the chamomile we get in Australia is tremendous - it tastes so much fresher and more fragrant.  
I love all herbal teas, but then, I don't like coffee, so I guess our tastes are just different.

Oh and I've never tried juniper berries - I don't think I've even seen them. Hopefully one day, I can visit Estonia and eat some. Wink

So yes, your childhood sounds incredibly idyllic.  Purple heart  Purple heart  Purple heart

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:22 am

Very quick answers Razz

- We did eat the fresh hazelnuts sometimes, but we always figured they were raw Laughing By the way, one of the bestest things you could do with a hazelnut- a home made hazelnut marzipan What a Face I'm kinda writing it off memory here from childhood, so I hope it's correct, because they're so worth it.
You take 2 glasses of peeled (is that the right word?) hazelnuts, roast them on pan so the very thin brown cover comes off and they look white (very hard to do, there will still be some left even after rubbing and toasting).
You grind them in a grinder as powdery as you can, put the ground nuts in a big bowl, add sugar (for the life of me, can't remember how much, maybe 1 cup or a glass?) and a tiny bit of water, I think it was a few spoonfuls. I remember it always seemed unreasonably small amount initially, but it worked somehow. You mix and mix like crazy until it becomes kinda moldable doughy substance and then you roll it into 1-2 inch thick balls and leave them in the fridge under foil overnight. Best thing ever!

-I'm sure you are right about them being linden tree blossoms, I just couldn't remember what they're called in English. The yellow flowers I just looked up are called cowslips in English angry face How very unattractive, they're called Meadow dolls in Estonian. I always used to pull their yellow blossoms out and eat them cause they're very sweet. My grandma cut their leaves into salad sometimes- apparently they're really good for you.

-I always figured the rosehip berry tea was the same as hibiscus tea until I googled it today lol. To me these 2 teas just look and taste the same. I've grown to like chamomile tea by now hehe, I have some in my kitchen now. I think when I was little I didn't like it because either a) I was sick and everything I related to being sick, such as medicine and tea seemed horrible, or b) I didn't like the wobbly bits in the tea when they got in my mouth- the blossoms I mean.

- I love almost all teas though, except ginger tea, cause it's spicy. My favorite favorite herb tea from garden was mint, I  looooove fresh homemade mint tea Hearts

The thing is that I have never had quite the same mint tea anywhere else but at home. I don't even know if it's spearmint, peppermint, green mint Shruggy smiley I spent ages comparing pictures and can't decide, apparently there are over 600 mint species Scratchhead I've had some mint teas that are very strong and taste like toothpaste and that's definitely not it. If I buy fresh mint from food store, it almost has no taste at all and it looks different, so I don't know. I just know I used to go out in summer evenings after sunset and cut myself a fresh bunch. We even had a specific tea pot (teekann in Estonian as well hehe) for mint tea. Ahhhh  gooey

-I figured it may have been St Johns Wort, although we never used it as antidepressant. I took St John's wort capsules all along while in uni and they really do work. This flower is called Ladies' red in Estonian and I remember my mom telling me it was a really good plant for women, so I imagine PMS, menopause that kind of stuff lol. I do remember my mom had some self made face toner made of it too.

Whenever you'd go to our attic there's always huge trays everywhere with all sorts of blossoms and herbs drying, hazelnuts drying, peppermint drying and big bunches of birch whisks drying for the sauna Very Happy

- I better stop because clearly these quick answers have stretched to really long ones lol.
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:50 pm

Today I had coffee (that is, she had peppermint tea and I had an ice cream sundae) with a new friend. We are colleagues in that we share the same field, but the similarities do not stop there. We're also both vegetarian, teetotal, and agree fairly exactly about just about everything. Very Happy Kindred spirit! I'm feeling very lucky.

Then I went for an hour-long boat ride with my dad, and had an amazing riverside lunch at a fancy restaurant. Some of the best pizza I've eaten outside Italy - they must have had an Italian chef!

Edit: Almost forgot, bought 500g+ of personally selected, fresh, handmade Belgian chocolates from Leonidas.

They were expensive, and I will not be thin. But they are worth it.

Last edited by Evie on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LittlemissSunshine on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:13 pm

That's so nice Evie, it's always great to connect to like minded people Smile!

Today has been the first day that I really feel connected to myself again, so that's a yay.
Things at work went pretty smoothly and I found out I have to work more with some other co-worker I really like, so that's a another big yay and relief.
I went to my parents place to help them paint the kitchen and we were don't after one hour, yay!
My guys son send me a message today saying he really hopes me and his dad work things out. That really made my heart melt <3
Got a new jeans and it fits ... Yay
LittlemissSunshine
Happiness Coach
Happiness Coach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top