» What do you think about power places?
by Night Eyes Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 pm

» 13 Things You Should Give Up If You Want To Be Successful
by Night Eyes Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:44 pm

» Shine's Genie
by kazoo Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:46 pm

» Question time.
by Luney Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 am

» What Good Things Happened to You Today?
by Evie Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 am

» What do you want to manifest this month?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:24 pm

» Ever feel like Belle?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:15 pm

» '5 Secrets to Wu Wei'
by LittlemissSunshine Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:27 pm

» Learning to Trust the Universe
by Night Eyes Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:34 am

» I am grateful for...
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:47 pm

» The Daily Thich Nhat Hanh
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:36 pm

» The Giggle Thread
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:10 pm

» How is Everyone?
by Night Eyes Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 pm

» Introduce yourself
by Luney Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:06 am

» Positive Affirmations
by Luney Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 am

» Shiny, Pretty, Happy Things
by Night Eyes Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 am

» Positivity app
by Night Eyes Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 am

» Cleaning home from negative energies
by kazoo Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:06 pm

» Share your Recipes
by Luney Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 am

» Inspiring Videos
by Evie Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:09 am

» Depression
by Night Eyes Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 am

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

Fa la la la laaa

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fa la la la laaa

Post by Shine on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:13 am

I know it's still a month, but I can't wait Very Happy Let's start a Christmas thread.

So below are a couple questions to get you started and please feel free to add your own questions Wink

1. How did you celebrate Christmas in your childhood, what traditions did you have?

2. What's your favorite Christmas so far? Favorite memory or present?

3. What's your favorite Christmas food?

4. What's your favorite part about Christmas?

5. If you could take your family anywhere for a Christmas holiday, where would it be? (I mean a real holiday, not visiting relatives or another home somewhere else).

Shine
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fa la la la laaa

Post by Luney on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:51 am

My answers:

1. How did you celebrate Christmas in your childhood, what traditions did you have?
I always spent Christmas with my family at the farm. Normally it was always snowy too. We always got the tree from the forest on morning of 24th, my aunt always left it in the hallway for all the snow to melt off. Then around noon we brought it in and decorated it (I mean me and my cousin decorated it). The decorations are all old and most of them older than our parents, but it makes them ever the more precious. We always put real candles on a tree too (talk about fire hazard!) and the colorful Christmas lights.
Normally the whole day is spent cooking, but us kids would go out and make snow lanterns. Around twilight we lit the lanterns and had the traditional Christmas Sauna hehe, then when we got back we put nice clothes on and had the traditional Christmas dinner, normally some meat like roast beef or pork, vegetables and sauerkraut, plus stuff like pickled pumpkins, cucumbers, tomatoes and mushrooms, rye bread and gravy of course.
We had special glasses for juice, each with a different animal picture and they literally only came out on our birthdays and Christmas, so that was always a highlight for us lol.

After dinner the elves had mysteriously left the gifts under the tree and somebody played the Santa, while we all had to read poems, sing or do some alternative tricks to get the present. When my grandfather was alive he played the Santa and we literally believed it was the Santa, we never recognized him.

My favorite Christmas is not from childhood, but when I was about 25ish and had lots of money to get everyone loads of nice presents lol, I loved shopping for them and spoiling my family. I also hadn't been home for 4-5 years for Christmas at that point, so it was extra nice to see everyone again.

We used to make a rolled up pastry with chocolate, crushed hazelnuts and melted chocolate glazing.... sooo good!

Wrapping the presents, the Christmas feeling...

5. If you could take your family anywhere for a Christmas holiday, where would it be? (I mean a real holiday, not visiting relatives or another home somewhere else).
Lapland or Northern Norway

Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:03 pm

A few months before my mother would always make her Xmas pudding and cake, and we had to stir the pudding and make a wish.

We would alwayts listen to her reading stories like A Christmas Carol and we had this big book of Christmas stories.

On Christmas Eve we would leave out a Mince Pie and Glass of Sherry for Santa and when we were listening to our story we would hear sleigh Bells which meant it was time to go to sleep!

My mum always insisted on 'Tree Presents' which were little gifts hidden in the tree we would open in the evening.

I'm not sure if i have an specific favourite xmas but any where mymum was still alive i guess.

I have a few favourite memories: one from my childhood where i woke up late on christmas eve and my mum came up to settle me down and i saw a flash of red suit on the stairs and it was santa (it was my dad).

When i was little we always used to go to christmas parties some at the local club and my dads family always held a xmas party and I loved dressing up in a sparkly new dress and the xmas songs.

My kids first Xmases especially my eldests only because I remember it better and she was old enough to be walking, she had a beautiful gold dress with stars on and we bought her this little push along plastic dog with all activities on it.

also when she was little she would open each present and look up at the ceiling and say 'Thank You Santa!'.

My favourite xmas present was when i was a little girl and i got a Care Bear.

Whats your favourite christmas food?

I love the Cold Turkey and Pickle sandwiches the next day. Dont get me wrong I love the main xmas dinner but i'm always tired by the time i've cooked it haha

and I always wrap up asparagus in Parma Ham and fry it then cover it with Parmesan which is mmmm

As an adult Boxing day is my favourite part now, as it's a lot more relaxed for me, and thats when my brother comes home, and we but all cheeses and pates with crackers and cold meats, although this year we're going for a meal instead so it will be different!

Either Lapland or Disneyland.

Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kazoo on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:22 pm

One Christmas that really sticks out is when I was around seven, I think.

I remember on Christmas Eve my little brother (who was about five) said he wanted a "baby bear" from Santa. Then around five in the morning my older brother (a year older) was so excited about Santa coming he woke me up. We knew it was too early to get our Mom up so we snuck downstairs to check out what Santa left us.

We didn't want to wake our Mom up so we turned the light on in the kitchen, which was farthest away from her room, and one by one we took our gifts into the kitchen to inspect the packages and shake them to see if we could guess what was inside.

When we finally couldn't stand it anymore we woke our Mom and little brother up and we opened our presents. Sure enough my little brother got his little stuffed baby bear, who was his favorite stuffie ever. I remember I got a cool Barbie that my Mom, er Santa, packed into a Barbie carrying case and there were a bunch of outfits in the case to go along.

When we were opening our presents my older brother SWORE he heard the reindeer on the roof. I think he actually believed it at the time, lol. It's amazing what we can convince ourselves when we really believe!

I have a lot of fun memories of the cats every year (we had four cats at one time!): Climbing the tree, lol. Having the bottom third of the tree undecorated every night, and looking for the ornaments they batted around while we were sleeping. They loved to even just sit under the tree and sleep. One year the tree was beautifully decorated for about 20 minutes until they were chasing each other around under the tree and knocked it over! We tried to make it look as pretty as it did before but it didn't quite look the same. No I swear the cats enjoyed the tree more than we did! One of our cats was obsessed with eating the ribbons off the packages too. Crazy cats!

The dogs, by the way never caused any trouble! But they got into the Christmas fun because I'd even wrap gifts for them and they'd have fun ripping them open. They had their own stockings too!

I agree that spending Christmas at Disney World would be really magical!
kazoo
Glowing
Glowing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:27 am

Awww both your Christmas memories sound so dreamy Hearts

I have the same tree issue with cats and kids, especially Iris, she's a year and a half, prime age for plucking ornaments off trees. Then we have 2 adult cats and 2 very playful kittens. Hubs wants to get a real tree, but I wonder just how shatterproof are these shatterproof ornaments hmmm

I remember one year my aunt took one of these big cylindrical milk containers

and turned it upside down with her head in it and a huge flour sack covering it that had one enormous eye painted on it. She appeared under our window and danced there for a while.
We were crying hysterically because we were so scared. She looked like a one eyed monster, but for some reason we were convinced it's an alien laugh
Our grandfather couldn't stop laughing, he told us it's the Santa Claus of the oompa-loompas Laughing but we were like "No!! You don't get it!! It's an ALIEN!".

One of my favorite Christmas present when I was 13 I believe was a jean jacket, that my mom had bought from some market place where the vendors smoked like chimneys and she kept it hidden in the cupboard together with a big bag of clementines. In Estonia you put your slipper on the window every night of December and the elves bring you something good by the morning if you have been good, usually clementines, sweets and sometimes a small toy.
Bottom line is that it translated into a musky smell of tobacco and citrus and I thought it was so badass, to me it smelled like some biker guy. I kept sniffing it and it started my years long triple denim fashion catastrophe.
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:05 pm

Lol yes I get the same with my cats, the older ones aren't too bothered but last year the kittens completely broke my tree in my front room, I had to take it down and throw it away. They're not really any calmer this year and they seem to like chewing things they shouldnt so we always have to watch them, I've bought a bigger sturdier tree this year so i'm hoping they dont break it eeek!

Lol I bet you were the height of fashion Luney I remember everyone wearing those jackets!

I remember crying all day one year because I didnt get the Barbie I had asked for, I was a complete spoiled brat hehe
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Lol aww, my cousin swears (I can't remember this) that I used to wish for a pony every single year and obviously never got it. It was okay though cause I used to "saddle" my cousin with a folded blanket and ride her instead.
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:28 pm

Omg Luney I did the same, the first things on my list for years were, Pony, St Bernard and Boxer dog.

my dad told me not long ago that they seriously considered the Pony and almost did it but they couldnt find anywhere they could safely keep it lol
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:53 am

I love everyone's memories and traditions!

Most of this admittedly I don't want to post in the public part of our website. Embarassed However, one thing I will mention - water fights. Very Happy All those water bombs, hosing-downs, and pool parties!

The Christmases that stick in my memory the most would be 1994 and 1995. My mum took me to various different stores and I saw different Santas, and I ended up telling the third one I saw how I'd seen other "Santas." He told me some long story about them all being brothers and helping each other because it would be too much work for one person, and I listened rather skeptically because I knew he was making it up. Afterwards Mum scolded me because she said I could have hurt his feelings! So I felt really bad about it.

Then was the Christmas when my grandma gave me a Barbie doll. Actually that was probably 1996. I was so ecstatic about it, I'd always wanted a Barbie doll but had never been allowed to have one. The Barbie looked a bit like this:

Potato salad.
...but that's only if we're talking only savoury. If not, then all the cookies! (And birthday cake Wink )

Surprising people with great presents. Which doesn't always happen, sadly, as my parents are the hardest people in the world to get presents for. Otherwise, just being with family with the Christmas spirit in the air...

That's easy.

Prague

Hands down!
Evie
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kazoo on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks for sharing everyone!  Christmas really can be so magical!  santa  rendeer  santa  rendeer

Christmas tree

As much fun as we have at Christmas I still think cats love Christmas more!

kazoo
Glowing
Glowing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:03 am

one of my cats have already attacked the tree laugh
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LittlemissSunshine on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Ok I am guilty when it comes to wearing ugly Xmas sweaters. I guess I have ugly sweaters I can wear for about a week so the week before Xmas I like to shock my coworkers by showing up in a different ugly sweater every day Wink)))
LittlemissSunshine
Happiness Coach
Happiness Coach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:11 am

I love Xmas sweaters...... and socks lol
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile