» What do you think about power places?
by Night Eyes Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 pm

» 13 Things You Should Give Up If You Want To Be Successful
by Night Eyes Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:44 pm

» Shine's Genie
by kazoo Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:46 pm

» Question time.
by Luney Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 am

» What Good Things Happened to You Today?
by Evie Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 am

» What do you want to manifest this month?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:24 pm

» Ever feel like Belle?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:15 pm

» '5 Secrets to Wu Wei'
by LittlemissSunshine Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:27 pm

» Learning to Trust the Universe
by Night Eyes Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:34 am

» I am grateful for...
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:47 pm

» The Daily Thich Nhat Hanh
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:36 pm

» The Giggle Thread
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:10 pm

» How is Everyone?
by Night Eyes Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 pm

» Introduce yourself
by Luney Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:06 am

» Positive Affirmations
by Luney Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 am

» Shiny, Pretty, Happy Things
by Night Eyes Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 am

» Positivity app
by Night Eyes Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 am

» Cleaning home from negative energies
by kazoo Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:06 pm

» Share your Recipes
by Luney Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 am

» Inspiring Videos
by Evie Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:09 am

» Depression
by Night Eyes Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 am

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

Motivation Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Motivation Tips

Post by Luney on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 am

In this thread please feel free to share motivational tips that get your butt moving. Not really articles, but your own personal tips.

I'll start-
Imagine your highest potential you can achieve -

The best form your body could be in, the best hair, the best skin, best teeth, the highest energy levels, the most beautiful you, the nicest fitting clothes, the most confidence...
The wealthiest life you can achieve, the job you love, the nicest house you can live in, happiest love life, time with friends, trying new things, exploring, traveling all around the world and so on...

And now imagine you are 80 years old and looking back and realizing none of it ever happened, you lived the rest of your life exactly as it is now, because you were too afraid or too lazy to make any of it happen. You always planned to some day be fit, some day be rich and some day be happy, but life went by and one day it was too late.

Bit morbid way of looking at things, but it helps to motivate me to think for example what a shame it would be if I never took advantage of the skills I have, the body I could have, the things I could do or offer my kids if I just wasted all my days in routine.

Share your tips below What a Face
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Motivation Tips

Post by Evie on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:05 am

Apart from what I mentioned in our earlier motivation thread, http://sparkleandshine.forumotion.com/t150-the-motivation-thread
I would add that I think motivation really has to come from within. And I think the ingredients tend to be love + determination. You need to love what you're doing or at least something that will come out of it (e.g. you can toil at something you don't like but love the results it will have for your family)...

Love is why you're doing something. It's your motive.

But love in itself is not enough---it needs to be coupled with determination, though determination comes naturally when you really focus on the why of doing something. You just have to get it done to the very best of your ability, and anything less feels like personal failure.
This formula has always worked for me--doing my personal best in all circumstances meant I was almost always top of my class in uni, and came out first in state in the one class I took with other kids (I was homeschooled for everything else) in high school. I'll admit I did lose my motivation a bit over the last year or so due to emotional circumstances, but that isn't going to happen again.

I think imagining the end of your life definitely works, too, though for me it actually has the effect of relaxing me more ---I'm just going to end up dead someday, anyway, and life is basically illusion, so what's the point of worrying about things? Eastern spiritual teachers would point out that success, the way we define it, is not enough in the first place, and I think most of the rich and successful in this world aren't happy anyway. For me, I think the end-of-life scenario works more to make me think about human connections and relationships, which are ultimately so fragile, than my work or things like getting physically in shape (the older I get the more I seem to notice that all the thousands of desires I have can never be satisfied anyway - you get something done, and then a hundred new desires pop up...). All of us are going to die. We need to treasure each other while we still can, and that is more important than any knowledge, success, or wealth under the stars.

Somehow this reminds me of one of my favourite Alan Watts lectures:

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lilac on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:33 pm

I saw a quote on Instagram taken from the Wall Street Journal which has helped motivate me:

Instead of saying "I don't have time" try saying "it's not a priority" and see how that feels. Often, that's a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, but I just don't want to. But other things are harder. Try it: "I'm not going to edit your resume, sweetie, because it's not a priority." "I don't go to the doctor because my health is not a priority." If the phrases don't sit well, that's the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don't like how we're spending an hour, we can choose differently.

So when I need motivation to get some university work done, or go get some exercise, I'll say 'it's not a priority', and that usually makes me realise that I do actually want to do it..

lilac
Twinkling
Twinkling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:40 am

^ "It's not a priority" -- that definitely really drives the point home that we can always manage our time to do the things that need to get done. Thanks for sharing, Lilac.

Evie
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:43 am

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:46 pm

I read from somewhere about imagining there is a big crowd cheering for you when you are facing a challenge or just need motivation and I have to say when I tried it myself it's actually quite uplifting Laughing
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top