» What do you think about power places?
by Night Eyes Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 pm

» 13 Things You Should Give Up If You Want To Be Successful
by Night Eyes Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:44 pm

» Shine's Genie
by kazoo Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:46 pm

» Question time.
by Luney Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 am

» What Good Things Happened to You Today?
by Evie Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 am

» What do you want to manifest this month?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:24 pm

» Ever feel like Belle?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:15 pm

» '5 Secrets to Wu Wei'
by LittlemissSunshine Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:27 pm

» Learning to Trust the Universe
by Night Eyes Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:34 am

» I am grateful for...
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:47 pm

» The Daily Thich Nhat Hanh
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:36 pm

» The Giggle Thread
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:10 pm

» How is Everyone?
by Night Eyes Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 pm

» Introduce yourself
by Luney Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:06 am

» Positive Affirmations
by Luney Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 am

» Shiny, Pretty, Happy Things
by Night Eyes Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 am

» Positivity app
by Night Eyes Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 am

» Cleaning home from negative energies
by kazoo Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:06 pm

» Share your Recipes
by Luney Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 am

» Inspiring Videos
by Evie Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:09 am

» Depression
by Night Eyes Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 am

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

How to deal with a Phobia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to deal with a Phobia

Post by Night Eyes on Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Ok so I have a big Phobia of medication or anything in that area.

I'm due to go to the dentist soon and get a filling.. I've never had one before so the closer it gets the more terrified i'm getting because I dont want the Local Anaesthetic. I have this belief it will harm me. I know this stems from an out of the blue allergic reaction to Penicllin, I was nevr a fan of medication before this but ever since this I am literally terrified of any meds.. other than ones in my 'safe zone' (which is probably about 2).

any tips on overcoming this, in the past i've just had dental work done without it, but people keep telling me fillings are painful and I should have the Local Anaesthetic Rolling Eyes

http://bottomlineinc.com/how-to-overcome-your-biggest-phobia/
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to deal with a Phobia

Post by Evie on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:06 pm

I really don't know...maybe MTC's technique could help - surrender? When I feel like things are out of control and I'm scared, surrender is the only thing that really seems to work...

Sending you positive thoughts. Hope it gets better I love you

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:02 pm

Yes i've used MTC'S techniques during full blown panic attacks and its worked, but i'm hoping i can prevent a full blown attack in the dentists chair Shocked
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:39 pm

Is it possible to surrender before that happens though? Shruggy smiley I love you

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:49 pm

Well I assume it is.. is it possible for me?

i'm trying but i just have this feeling of irrational impending doom lol

the only plan i have so far is to embarrass myself and explain my fear and focus on breathing during the procedure
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Breathing sounds great. I love you And there's nothing wrong with embarrassment, I often tell people embarrassing things about me being confused or unco or just feeling socially awkward right now, or whatever the case may be, it just makes them understanding and sometimes they end up being nicer and liking you a lot lol hugz

I guess from a mindfulness perspective - the anxiety is still about something in the future, it isn't about something *right now*...so if you can stay in the present moment, maybe the fears can disappear? I know it's more complicated but...

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Well my Dentist knows about my Anxiety and has been understanding about it (after making me cry on time) but when i took my daughter there the other week his name plaque wasnt on the wall so i'm worries its going to be someone different.

this tends to make me even more worried Bang head Sigh...
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Nighty, have you seen this page? http://www.needlephobia.com/ I don't know if it could help, but... hugs

"Please just know that it is never hopeless; and that in spite of all of the difficulties, needle phobia can be overcome."

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:35 pm

oh i dont have needle phobia, i'm actually quite alright with needles i've had tattoo's and immunisations

i have a fear of the medication doesnt matter if its medicine, tablet or injection

i'm sure it can be overcome and i hope to see the other side of this filling fear and take something from it, in the sense of look i can do it, there's nothing to be worried about.
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:28 pm

Aww see I wasn't sure, I thought maybe it was especially injections-based. But maybe some of the same techniques for getting over needle phobia can help for medications phobia?

And I think you're right about this:

@Night Eyes wrote:i'm sure it can be overcome and i hope to see the other side of this filling fear and take something from it, in the sense of look i can do it, there's nothing to be worried about.

I do think it will be just fine, I know me saying that isn't any help, but I guess ultimately the best way (?) to get over this kind of fear is to just face it. You're brave, Nighty. I love you

Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks Evie *fingers crossed* Very Happy
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adi on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:29 am

cool

Adi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by President Roosevelt on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:58 pm

This reminds me of when I went to the dentist when I was 4. My Mom, ever the Mafia godmother, really tried to make sure that I always got the best, high quality stuff. I was just a little kid walking with her downtown, wearing new designer clothes, eating with her in fancy restaurants, walking around with a new Lego or Thomas The Tank Engine toy, and going to this dentist office that a lot of richer people in the neighborhood go to. And man was I scared, I told my mom I wasn't going anywhere near the dentist and those creepy chairs. It reminded me of Han Solo getting tortured before the carbon freezing pit. And then I saw my dentist, aw yeah, she was a very beautiful woman with gorgeous eyes, olive skin, wavy dark hair, and a great smile.  gooey  One moment I'm yelling "No Mommy, I'm not going in there!!!" and the next I'm like "Hey, how you doin'?  Wink " So I put up and shut up right then and there, I was ready to let her do anything to me, and I loved sitting in that chair staring at her as she checked out my teeth. And then she told me I was a good boy and gave me a lollipop. Those visits never lasted long enough. Ever since then the dentist office became synonymous with this alluring woman I loved to see...until she moved away haha Gaah!

Anyway, NE I get where you're coming from. You've always been a strong person so however this works out I'm sure you'll be OK. Although I don't have a phobia of medicine, I did have my reservations about taking depression medicine like Prozac. My aunt deals with panic attacks and depressive spells, so she gave my mom some pills when she felt depressed. And they made my mom feel worse and ever since she has been extra wary of medicine and the pharmaceutical industry. When I had to see a psychiatrist for depression when I was 13, my mom was with me and thankfully supported my decision not to take Prozac. While I can't recommend the same course for others with severe depression, I was able to get out of it without pills (in my opinion, laughter and inner peace are some of the best medicine you could ask for). One thing I've learned in health economics is that big pharma is big business and I often wonder if we really need all of this medicine, is it really about health or is it all just profit? I still take some medicine when I'm sick but just mostly over the counter stuff. I don't want to grow up and be one of those people that needs 20 different pills a day, screw that. For me, I'm gonna be healthy from the inside out. Cool

As for the phobia itself, I think the best thing I can say is to just remember all the times you faced your fear, sure you were scared but you did it and you felt better for having done it. Think about those moments and you will see - even if you can't believe it - that you still got bravery in you. Usually the advice among Law of Attractioners and positive thinkers is all about having a positive focus, visualizing a positive visit, or just affirming how nice the dentist visit is. But sometimes I think these techniques do more harm than good, instead of helping us to face the fear it can become a sort of drug to avoid fear. So when something scary comes up, we feel like we need to avoid it and do more visualization and do more EFT until we feel ready, but in truth we use these techniques to avoid our fear instead of accepting it for what it is, we'll never feel ready. I guess it depends on what our intents are, do we do this this stuff to find true bravery within or do we do it to avoid fear and thereby avoid life as well? So I agree with Eve, the best way to deal with this is probably just to face it (I know it's not easy). That's not to say that positive thinking and other techniques like EFT and visualization aren't helpful, with time they could probably help a lot to heal subconscious fears, but I don't think the techniques should be "an invisibility shield" so to speak to avoid our problems. There's a beautiful scene in Batman Begins when Bruce goes into the cave below Wayne Manor and a swarm of bats surround him. He embraces them and conquers his fear of bats by exposure and vulnerability.

Sometimes I think we have to do the same. We always think if only we had more time to prepare, to visualize, to meditate, to do EFT or something else, but sometimes we just have to think that the fear is not the result of an out-of-alignment state or some negative subconscious belief manifesting in our world. Instead, the fearful situation is completely positive and it's here for us to grow from it, to experience joy and to be proud in ourselves. For my 8th grade class trip, we went to Gettysburg (site of a major battle during the American Civil War). All of my friends were walking up this very tall mount to to overlook the field and I was so scared to go up those heights, I've always been afraid of heights. But I did it anyway (it helps that you got friends going up with you). And it felt so good to know that I faced that fear. No visualization or EFT required, all it took was a little thought that said "I can do this and I'm gonna do it," and if I visualized myself climbing up there first, I may have been stuck visualizing forever. So sometimes, you just have to think and trust that no matter how fearful something is, you have all that you need now to deal with it otherwise it wouldn't have shown up. Like the legendary Muhammad Ali said:

There was one time when I had to get my wisdom teeth out and I was a little nervous about the anesthetic and having that thing getting into my blood. So I thought about James Bond and it helped me to calm down. There were times when James Bond found himself in a tight spot but he always found a way out, and if I'm James Bond then I'll do the same. So sometimes it's good to have a hero you can look up to and keep that person in mind and let them inspire you as you get closer to your fear. They will be like the angel on your shoulder giving you the heart to go on.

President Roosevelt
Top Dog
Top Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:45 am

Lol Pressie, I had a hot guy dentist once, I don't think I would've gotten away with longingly staring at him the whole time Laughing I was at least 20 by then.

But when I was a kid I was terrified of dentists and refused to open my mouth. I think I drove a few dentists to the verge of insanity. Of course back then there was no anesthesia whatsoever and dental drills were more like this ...

...and usually straight on a nerve too.

Nighty, I know that dentists are extremely used to phobias. The phobia of dentist is really really common and there's nothing to be embarrassed about. Most likely they also have a phobia of their own, spiders, heights... whatever, so just saying you had a horrible experience with allergic reaction - it just makes sense and they'd have to be a serious a-hole to not understand that.

Have you never had a shot at dentist before? Not even as a kid?
As an alternative you could take a big dose of a painkiller on your safe list 30 min-1 hour before going Shruggy smiley I mean if you would go no-meds at dentist obviously, don't mix the 2. Just make sure you it's not a blood thinner like aspirin- you definitely don't want to take that for dentist appointment. You can do it cheerleader

Oh yeah, and eventually my mom discovered when she promised to get me a toy if I opened my mouth I had zero problems with suffering through the torment What a Face We started going to toy shop every time after dentist visit and I was looking forward to seeing a dentist. So maybe you can think of a nice reward you will buy yourself guilt free to motivate you Wink
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:49 am

Pressie that must be you then Wink
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks for the advice guys

unfortunately i've already had the appointment and failed massively and refused to get it done

The dentist was pretty understanding but it didnt help that it wasnt my usual dentist who new what i was like and she didnt want to do the procedure with out it and i just didnt cope well so now i have to go get it done with gas and air

i guess it wasnt the day to conquer this fear.

and Luney i've never had fillings or anything before so ever needed it

I think the worst part of having a phobia is no matter how much you understand its common or people have them too, its the embarrassment i felt with it Shruggy smiley
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luney on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:38 am

Aww Nighty, that's okay, I miserably failed in my many attempts of driving fearlessly and yes it's embarrassing and I still am to conquer my driving phobia, but oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'll get there someday hehe. At least you tried so you are already braver than me!

Can you find out where your regular dentist works now and follow him there?
Luney
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:40 am

I'm not sure i hadnt thought about finding out where he'd gone but its so difficult to get registered with a dentist these days i waited about 3 years for this place so i'll have to just get used to the other one, and behave better next time lol
Night Eyes
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by President Roosevelt on Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:31 am

President Roosevelt
Top Dog
Top Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down