» What do you think about power places?
by Night Eyes Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 pm

» 13 Things You Should Give Up If You Want To Be Successful
by Night Eyes Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:44 pm

» Shine's Genie
by kazoo Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:46 pm

» Question time.
by Luney Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 am

» What Good Things Happened to You Today?
by Evie Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 am

» What do you want to manifest this month?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:24 pm

» Ever feel like Belle?
by kazoo Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:15 pm

» '5 Secrets to Wu Wei'
by LittlemissSunshine Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:27 pm

» Learning to Trust the Universe
by Night Eyes Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:34 am

» I am grateful for...
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:47 pm

» The Daily Thich Nhat Hanh
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:36 pm

» The Giggle Thread
by Evie Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:10 pm

» How is Everyone?
by Night Eyes Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 pm

» Introduce yourself
by Luney Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:06 am

» Positive Affirmations
by Luney Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 am

» Shiny, Pretty, Happy Things
by Night Eyes Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 am

» Positivity app
by Night Eyes Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 am

» Cleaning home from negative energies
by kazoo Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:06 pm

» Share your Recipes
by Luney Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 am

» Inspiring Videos
by Evie Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:09 am

» Depression
by Night Eyes Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 am

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

The funniest books you've read

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The funniest books you've read

Post by Evie on Mon May 23, 2016 10:38 pm

Before our book club gets going, why don't we start a parallel discussion?

I find that reading something that can make me laugh out loud is one of the best experiences ever; it definitely raises my mood even if I'm down, so it is actually curative among other things!

So what are the funniest books you've ever read? What books make you crack up?

I remember the gypsy scene in Jane Eyre made me laugh, very hard, for a long time when I first read it as a teenager...

...but for more conventional "funny" books...

I love P.G. Wodehouse. Hilarious situations, iridescent prose, and witty dialogue make his books shine with an irrepressible cannot-be-put-downness.

Some quotes to give you an idea:

“And she's got brains enough for two, which is the exact quantity the girl who marries you will need.”

“There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature.”

“The voice of Love seemed to call to me, but it was a wrong number.”

“He had just about enough intelligence to open his mouth when he wanted to eat, but certainly no more.”

“It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.”

“At the age of eleven or thereabouts women acquire a poise and an ability to handle difficult situations which a man, if he is lucky, manages to achieve somewhere in the later seventies.”

So --- which books give you the giggles? Do you have certain funny books that you come back to time and time again? They don't have to be funny throughout, just contain enough humour to sometimes give you a chuckle. Very Happy
Evie
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The funniest books you've read

Post by President Roosevelt on Tue May 24, 2016 2:57 am

I think the funniest books I read are the Harry Potter books (yeah, I don't read enough fiction lol.)

It's always hilarious to read about Hermione and Ron bickering.

But I laughed like a demon in Order of The Phoenix when Fred, George, and Peeves gave Umbridge hell.

Some funny quotes from Order of The Phoenix:

"Fred and George: 'Give her [Umbridge] hell from us, Peeves.' And Peeves, who Harry had never seen take an order from a student before, swept his belled hat from his head and sprang to a salute as Fred and George wheeled about…"

"But not even the users of the Snackboxes could compete with that master of chaos, Peeves, who seemed to have taken Fred's parting words deeply to heart. Cackling madly, he soared through the school, upending tables, bursting out of blackboards, toppling statues and vases; twice he shut Mrs Norris inside a suit of armour from which she was rescued, yowling loudly, by the furious caretaker. Peeves smashed lanterns and snuffed out candles, juggled burning torches over the heads of screaming students, caused neatly stacked piles of parchment to topple into fires or out of windows; flooded the second floor when he pulled off all the taps in the bathrooms, dropped a bad of tarantulas in the middle of the Great Hall during breakfast and, whenever he fancied a break, spent hours at a time floating along after Umbridge and blowing loud raspberries every time she spoke."

"… Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves, who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier, and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth, 'It unscrews the other way.'

"Hermione: 'They could tell her – I don't know – that Peeves is up to something awful as usual…'
'I'll do it,' said Ron at once. 'I'll tell her Peeves is smashing up the Transfiguration department or something, it's miles from her office. Come to think of it, I could probably persuade Peeves to do it if I met him on the way.'

laugh
President Roosevelt
Top Dog
Top Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie on Thu May 26, 2016 10:11 am

I knew you were going to say Harry Potter. Very Happy I definitely laughed out loud at plenty of scenes from the books, at least as much as I laughed at any of the movies (perhaps more).

I love Fred and George.

“Can't stay long, Mother," he said. "I'm up front, the prefects have got two compartments to themselves-"
"Oh, are you a prefect, Percy?" said one of the twins, with an air of great surprise. "You should have said something, we had no idea."
"Hang on, I think I remember him saying something about it," said the other twin. "Once-"
"Or twice-"
"A minute-"
"All summer-"
"Oh, shut up," said Percy the Prefect.”

"How d'you spell 'belligerent'?" said Ron, shaking his quill very hard while staring at his parchment. "It can't be B-U-M-"
"No, it isn't," said Hermione, pulling Ron's essay toward her. "And 'augury' doesn't begin O-R-G either. What kind of quill are you using?"
"It's one of Fred and George's Spell-Check ones... but I think the charm must be wearing off..."
"Yes, it must," said Hermione, pointing at the title of his essay, "because we were asked how we'd deal with dementors, not 'Dugbogs,' and I don't remember you changing your name to 'Roonil Wazlib' either."

Then there's Quidditch Very Happy

Lee Jordan was finding it difficult not to take sides.
"So-after that obvious and disgusting bit of cheating-"
"Jordan!" growled Professor McGonagall.
"I mean, after that open and revolting foul-"
"Jordan, I'm warning you-"
"All right, all right. Flint nearly kills the Gryffindor Seeker, which could happen to anyone, I'm sure..."

And......

'Well?' said Professor McGonagall, rounding on him. 'Is this true?'
'Is what true?' Harry asked, rather more aggressively than he had intended. 'Professor?' he added, in an attempt to sound more polite.
'Is it true that you shouted at Professor Umbridge'?
'Yes', said Harry.
'You called her a liar?'
'Yes'.
'You told her He Who Must Not Be Named is back?'
'Yes.'
Professor McGonagall sat down behind her desk, frowning at Harry. Then she said, 'Have a biscuit, Potter.'
Evie
Radiant
Radiant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top